8th MDS Symposium
The 8th International Symposium on Myelodysplastic Syndromes toke place in Nagasaki, Japan from May 12th to May 15th, 2005.
Chairman of the local organizing committee was Masao Tomonaga, MD. Other members of this committee was:
Masami Bessho, Tomomitsu Hotta, Akihisa Kanamaru, Seiji Kojima, Kazutaka Kuriyama, Kinuko Mitani, Takashi Murate, Tatsutoshi Nakahata, Shinji Nakao, Tomoki Naoe, Kazuma Ohyashiki, Mitsuhiro Omine, and Takashi Uchiyama.
The members of the scientific committee were John M. Bennett, MD (USA), Yataro Yoshida (Honorary President), Keisuke Toyama (Honorary Chair), David T. Bowen, H. Joachim Deeg, Theo J.M. de Witte, Pierre Fenaux, Ulrich Germing, Peter Greenberg, Henrik Hasle, Eva Hellström-Lindberg, Michele M. Le Beau, Alan F. List, Ghulam J. Mufti, Charlotte Niemeyer, Stephen D. Nimer, Azra Raza, Guillermo F. Sanz, Richard Stone, Pierre J. Wijermans, and Neil Stuart Young
A second announcement and call for papers was issued in October 2004, and the deadline for abstract submission was January 15, 2005.
- Symposium Secretariat, Masao Tomonaga, MD, Department of Hematology, Molecular Medicine Unit, Atomic Bomb Disease Institute, Nagasaki University School of Medicine, 1-12-4 Sakamoto, Nagasaki, 852-8523, Japan. Phone: +81 95 849-7111, Fax: +81 95 849-7113, and e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The scientific topics covered by the symposium was:
- Etiology and epidemiology
- Classification and diagnosis
- Prognostic factors
- Genetic abnormalities
- Stem cell biology
- Immunesuppressive therapy
- Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation
- New Agents
- Iron chelation
- Other biological factors
- MDS in children
- Supportive care and quality of life